A quick chat with Bryce March of SUPERNAUT BOOKING.


If your like me, you may have pondered why some bands always hit up The Queen City and why other bands never pass on through. Bryce March of Supernaut Booking was kind enough to answer a few quesitons for us, and well, his answers might just suprise you. Plus he drops a hint(sorta) at a great band about to be annouced!

buffaBLOG: Whats the secret to getting a good band to come to Buffalo.
BM: It's honestly, very, very hard. There isn't one end all way to make it happen, but developing a band is your best bet. A band that will come back and keep gaining fans. Those are the bands that stick around, and you retain a relationship with them. For example, I'm writing this while our i have a show going on. This is the third time i've brought this particular band, and they've increased their crowd by about 200 each time.

The other thing that brings "good" bands to buffalo, is money. It sucks, but it's at the heart of this business. I started doing this 5 years ago, and i've learned some tough financial lessons, but at the end of the day, bands want to get paid, and the promoter needs to get paid too. It's their livelihood. And people would be so surprised at how little bands actually make. For example, if you're ever at a show at a smaller club, even if it's sold out, figure, 250 people pay, 10 bucks a head, 2500 dollars, minus your costs, then you have the bands costs, gas, employees like tour managers/box office people, sound men,buying a van and paying for merch, etc, and then that band splits up their money among 4-6 people? That many people sharing a couple hundred dollars is basically a day working at a coffee shop, and less than waiting tables at a good decent restaurant. And bands aren’t all selling out clubs everywhere either. People always come up to me and go, "oh man, these guys must have made so much money" or "you must have killed on this show" just because they see 100 people there. What the average person doesn't realize, is that the cost of food, gas, production, promotion,etc all comes out of that money.

That's why it always bugs me so much to have that "one person" who complains or acts indignant (usually very loudly so everyone knows theird opinion) about paying $10/12 to see a show. That person bugs me, cause i've been on the bands side of the fence, and the promoters, and it's not easy. We don't have swimming pools full of money or solid gold toilets. We are just people who love music and do our best to make it happen at every opportunity.

buffaBLOG: Can you give us any hints at what bands you are currently targeting to come to buffalo?
BM:  I can say this...this week i announce a big one. The black keys! We've been trying for years to make this one happen, and finally, it's become a reality. I am so excited for that one, you have no idea. I saw them in Austin, and they were great. Just a really special, intimate show, that’s been a long time coming.

buffaBLOG:  What was your favorite show presented by supernaut booking.
BM:  I’ll start with the negative ;) My least favorite was the night of the October storm. I had okkervil river,a band who i love and had been trying to bring to buffalo for a couple of years, who were poised to sell out soundlab. I had like 5 people walk up, i lost a ton of money, the storm sucked, one of the bands van got stuck in the parking lot, i got a flat tire and knocked the car of the jack because of the ice, a couple people wound up having to sleep at the club, and when i woke up, my neighborhood was demolished. That was a rough night!

But my favorite? There’s too many.
Watching Converge destroy a crowd apart from the side of the stage with one of my best friends is a good one, and basically, any Man Man show ever..there is a great band called Suckers who I love…Maybe seeing Shilpa Ray at merlins play to just me and my friend Owl (not my show!) and knowing that I was witnessing something great (she’s a great example of a band that builds their fanbase one amazing set at a time, consistently) I love watching bands man...there are so many memories of great shows, I've been lucky to work with so many really inspired people, from tour managers and merch people, to band members, there are so many great moments, even the crazy hectic/stressful ones, that I wouldn’t trade for the world.

buffaBLOG:  how do u decide what local bands open for what shows?
BM:  Bands that try really hard to get my attention usually get a chance. It sucks to say, but i'll admit it, my friends bands...i know most of the people in this music scene, i try to be fair. I know i've had instances where bands, mostly in the metal/hardcore genre, who seem to be sore that i don't put them on shows, but i don't really do shows for that type of music anymore, I occasionally do, but it’s pretty rare...i still rock my Morbid Angel records, but I don’t really do that many metal shows. Or bands will feel scorned because I don’t put them on any shows, but they’ve never asked! All you really gotta do is ask! I go to a lot of local shows, and play them with my own band, and i just pay attention, listen to any link i get sent to me, when people ask, i usually try to get them the slot. In the end, it's up to the band though…don’t be afraid to ask, I might not be able to accommodate right away, but I will keep you in mind.

There is an aspect to local bands and national shows that bugs me…it’s one of my least favorite things about the music business/concert promotion game, and this is it: If a band is starting out, and doesn't really have a draw in your city, the agent will beg you to put some locals on, and they will get paid less than the out of town band, etc. But when that same band is selling out rooms, they rarely allow a local on, because the agent/management have final say and they don’t want to “burden” the headliner That is such a crock in my eyes. Buffalo has a totally vibrant music scene with TONS of great bands. What we need, is a label, or a nationally recognized music blog to get the word out there about our talent. Labels are dying, but some are adapting to the current music climate. It would be great to see one spring up in Buffalo...though it's a risky undertaking..so, whoever does get serious about something like that, should have alot of know how and dedication on their side. But we have such a rich local scene. We are very lucky.

2 comments

  1. First, on the last point Bryce makes....i totally agree that Buffalo is a very lucky city to have such an amazing local music scene. Being someone that grew up in Cleveland and Akron, Ohio, i can honestly say that the scene here is much better than that of north east Ohio.
    To readers: Don't be pissed about paying your $10/$12/$15 at shows....there are a lot more people than you see working to bring together great shows in Buffalo. Supernaut and MNM Presents and other local bookers WORK THEIR ASSES OFF to bring the artists YOU want to see to Buffalo. RESPECT!

  2. that show with shilpa was at merlins. it was her first band Beat the Devil with mitchell and mishka. both amazing musicians. kurt rotterdam booked it and they played with Niatross. A free form improv... project with Jay Hayes on drums and Vinnie Barone on synths....Thrill me broke up that night and Bryce,Johnny, and Eric came down to merlins for a celebratory shot...there was about 10 people there and Beat the Devil was amazing...merlins was great for this kinda shit and props to bryce for continuing to book great acts like shilpa...thanks for reminding me of this....

Post a Comment