Spotlight: Band T-Shirts

Every time I go to a concert, the first thing I do is run over to the merchandise table to see what kinds of items are being sold.  Sometimes there are some different items:  The National sold a scarf with all of their faces on it, Wavves sold weed grinders, but I always find myself drawn to the posters and shirts.   Its always fun to see the new designs the bands are offering on a given tour, especially when a poster design is unique to each city, usually courtesy of the the Hero and Sound shop on Allen if the show is local.  I go back and forth between buying band shirts or posters.  I have begun to run out of room on my apartment walls for more posters, so I am back on a t-shirt kick.  There have been countless shirts created over the years for every band imaginable, but a few of them have really stood out to stand the test of time.    
Maybe most recognizable logo in rock history, the Rolling Stones "Tongue and Lips" design first appeared in the liner notes of their Sticky Fingers album.  Designed by pop artist John Pasche after meeting Mick Jagger in 1969 and seeing first hand how big his lips and tongue truly were, the design would forever be associated with the classic rock band.  Whether it be this specific design, or some variation, the "Tougue and Lips" logo has been a staple of Rolling Stones merchandise since it's inception.   

Whether you are an aging punk fan, an up and coming punk inspired band, or anywhere in between, chances are you own this shirt.  The design was created by NYC artist Arturo Vega who came up with the idea after visiting Washington, D.C.  Vega decided to take the Presidential logo, since the Ramones were known as an "All-American Band", and gave it a punk touch up.  The arrows were to symbolize aggression and resistance, the apple branch was another ode to the All-American appeal of the band, and the baseball bat simply for their love of the sport.  Take the band members name, and circle the symbol creating a look of unity, and you have a classic rock image.

The Who's Faded Union Flag, or Union "Jack" design seems to be a close 2nd to the Rolling Stone's "Tongue and Lips" logo shirt for best band shirt of the classic rock era although certain Led Zepplin fans may say different.  Taking such an iconic and important image of British history and matching it with the band's name not once, but twice seems signify the rise of the counter culture over the old guard.

Alright this technically is not a band, but this shirt is everywhere.   The logo to some may be more iconic than the actually bar for those who were never lucky enough to attend. CBGB's, or Country, Blue Grass, and Blues(how many of you knew that's what it stood for?), opened its doors in 1973 on Bleaker and Bowery in Manhattan.  The bar became famous for breaking in up and coming punk and new wave bands in the mid to late 70s and early 80s, a far cry from the intended honky tonk scene that the name is in honor of.  Bands like the Talking Heads, Blondie, Television, Patti Smith, and the aforementioned Ramones all played the club during its hey day.  The famed venue closed its doors in the fall of 2006, but the name continues to live on in the design.

I could go on forever, but there are just too many to touch on.  With all this talk about bands shirts, I opened up my dresser drawers to see what band/concert shirts of mine have survived over the years.  I would have bought many more, but concert shirts are not the cheapest purchase these days ($35 for a t-shirt Bob Dylan!? Really!?) and some simply have the album art work on them, which I am not a fan of(be original people!).  The thing I like about my band shirts is I can tell you exactly where and when I bought it, bringing back memories of the concert experience.

Purchased at the Explosions in the Sky show at the Opera House in Toronto(March 2007).
I first came across Explosions in the Sky after seeing my favorite sports movie ever, Friday Night Lights.  The Austin band scored the Texas based football movie, and would later provide music for the equally good television show.  The bands slow burning post rock seemed to be a perfect match for the up and down game of football:  dramatic build ups, steady, marching band like drumming, and emotional let downs.  Opening for the band that night was electronic minimalist composer Eluvium, who left such a lasting impression on my two fellow concert goers that they would later use a song of his in their wedding.  This shirt immediately caught by eye as it reminded me of the scene in The Royal Tenenbaums where Richie released his beloved bird Mordecai back into the wild.

Purchased at the Broken Social Scene show at the Town Ballroom in Buffalo(September 2010).
My current favorite rock t-shirt.  The sold out BSS show went for nearly 3 hours, featured a few sit ins from show openers Tortoise, and hit on every album of their 10 year career.  Broken Social Scene have become known for their epic sprawling guitar rock, not to mention their ever expanding and revolving cast of players in the Toronto/Montreal indie rock scene, but when they want to, they can write a hell of a love song ("Lover's Spit", "Anthems for Seventeen Year Old Girl").  This shirt seems to capture the feel of those songs:  broken hearts, people falling in and out of love.

Purchased at Lollapalooza in Chicago's Grant Park(August of 2007).
2007 marked the 3rd year that of Lollapalooza's most recent format of staying grounded in Chicago rather than tour North America.  It must have been a cheap shirt because it is rather simple(non centered logo on front, lineup on the back), but I did get to cross off a handful of bands off my live music bucket list:  The Shins, Iron and Wine, New Pornographers, and The Secret Machines.  Despite me breaking my ankle at some point over the weekend and my friends running off to get a good spot for Broken Social Scene, leaving me to pathetically limp to catch up(I would have done the same, so I can't be mad), I would not change a single moment from that weekend and this shirt is a testament to that.

Purchased at Waterloo Records in Austin, Texas (April of 2010).
Although this was not bought at at a show(I would later see Band of Horses open for Pearl Jam at HSBC Arena last May), my time in Austin was unforgettable.  From me getting to see Van Morrison in concert on the University of Texas campus, to the endless amount of Tex Mex I consumed, and finally my visit to truly awesome Waterloo Records, this shirt became a nice memory of the long weekend.  Band of Horse's Built to Spill esque guitar rock went AM Alt-Country with last year's Infinite Arms, providing a perfect soundtrack to the beach scene displayed on the shirt.

Purchased at the Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings show at Town Ballroom (February 2011).
My most recent purchase.  Charles Bradley & The Menahan Street Band(featuring members of the Dap Kings) did what every great opener should do(get the crowd going before the headliner), and then some.  Bradley evoked the spirit of funk great James Brown in every way possible.  He rocked an awesome jump suit(no under shirt required of course), showed off some great dances moves, and proved that Sharon Jones was not the only entertainer in the building that night.

It's a good thing I didn't write this article in high school as all I would have had to show was about a dozen Dave Matthew's Band shirts.  Anyways, hopefully I am not the only one whose concert shirts evoke great memories, and with April being much a great month for live music in Buffalo(Iron & Wine, New Pornographers, Walkmen), my collection is bound to grow.
~mm

2 comments

  1. hey , you said you had alot of posters , any you would be willing to let go of?? you can check out my collection below. and let me know if there is anything that you could part with. thanks

  2. very nice designs.......

Post a Comment