Concert Review: The Black Keys


I was first introduced to The Black Keys several years ago when an ex-boyfriend of mine handed me a burnt CD of their discography, which included their albums Thinkfreakness, Rubber Factory and Magic Potion.  He confidently stated that I’d like the band. Upon first listen, I was not enchanted by the bluesy rock duo or their guitar-heavy sound. From that day forward, the disc was thrown into a small mountain of other CDs that I found boring but felt too guilty to throw away.  


Now, let’s fast forward by about five years to July 13th, 2011.  The Black Keys and Cage the Elephant were playing a sold-out show at Artpark, and in the midst of the madness, I was there, happily howling out the words to every one of their songs.  I am not sure how it happened, but somehow over the years The Black Keys turned my apathy into attraction with that sexy soulfulness of theirs.  I was ready and willing to get the full experience and witness them in the flesh.  Read on for all of the dirty details.


Cage the Elephant’s set provided grade A foreplay.  Lead singer, Matthew Shultz, knew just how to set the scene with his energetic, punk-rock presence.  While he enthusiastically bopped around the stage singing tunes from both their self-titled album and Thank You, Happy Birthday, I sipped my sauce and let the slacker funk take hold over me.  Though their performance sounded undeniably fuzzy, I found Shultz’s muffled singing to be sensual and engaging.  I do not think I was alone in this feeling as I watched the entire crowd anxiously cheer for more as he crooned “Back Against the Wall.”  

They continued to max out their energy while performing their hit “Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked.”  Clearly, the audience related to every word as they shouted up at the stage: “I got bills to pay/ I got mouths to feed/ There ain’t nothing in this world for free.”  While this band easily could have been the main event, they exemplify a perfect opener with their ability to excite and entice their viewers for the next act.


After a trip to the bar, I was hot, bothered, and eager for the main event to begin.  Just as I was about to suggest another round of cheap pinot grigio, the lights dimmed and The Black Keys took the stage.  Rocker duo Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney were clad in flannel and ready to roll. Under the blue and raspberry lights, they lured the crowd in while cooing classics, like “Girl is on My Mind” and “The Breaks.”  Although these two pieces of man-candy may not be inherently handsome, they are painstakingly appealing as they do their thing on stage. Auerbach’s voice is very powerful in person as he confidently captivates his listeners with his booming pipes.  Carney maintains a similar self-assuredness as he knocks out his drums, exuding a cool detached stance that would drive any scene-slut wild.  They played a low-key version of “Act Nice and Gentle” followed by several tracks off their most recent album Brothers, including “Everlasting Love,” “Howling for You,” “Tighten Up” and “Ten Cent Pistol.”  As they strummed through their newer material, their instrumental talents could not be ignored.  They remained obviously practiced and on point. 


By the time we reached the encore, there was weed in the summer air and booze lingering on everyone’s breath. They ended explosively with “Sinister Kid” and “Your Touch.”  As the show closed and the lights came on, it was clear that something had happened to the crowd: sweat was pouring, articles of clothing had been removed, and each concertgoer was wearing a devious smile.  The Black Keys’ magic transcended from the stage to the crowd, sexually charging each audience member.  

As it turns out, that ex-boyfriend had been right all along.  I’m glad I was too guilty to ever throw out that CD after all. 

~dl
Cage The Elephant

The Black Keys

1 comments

  1. Great review!

Post a Comment