Concert Review: Motopony at the Ninth Ward


"I can't believe I'm in the basement of Ani DiFranco's church right now", Daniel Blue proclaimed about halfway through his set in the Ninth Ward at Babeville. The front man for the Seattle based quartet, Motopony, played to an intimate crowd Wednesday night and went all in for every song. Set against a seemingly perfect blue backdrop and candlelit stage, Motopony had the entire front row gracefully head banging all night. Listening in the underground lounge-typevenue that is the Ninth Ward, I felt as if I had stumbled upon an impromptu indie/pop jam session with a few friends.




The bouncy acoustics of the venue gave the band a great sound. With soulful, almost haunting lyrics, words rebounded off the exposed brick walls and knocked the audience into musical bliss. The only downside to the entire show was the fact that not more people showed up. What else could you have been doing on a Wednesday night that was better than this? Not much I can imagine.



Motopony ended the show with a rendition of "Seer", after a fan shouted out the request. Both guitarists picked up tambourines in place of their guitars and shook beats out to the beginning of the song. Accompanied by bass-sounding chords played on the keyboard, it was a confusing but completely pleasing arrangement. Blue saved all his energy for the finale, moving so intensely, he seemed to get electric shocks via the micophone he was singing into. The guy has some serious passion. With a feather hanging from his hair, Blue uttered, as two attendees headed towards the door, "No one's going to recognize those guys, because their faces are melting off."

Kathryn Przybyla

0 comments

Post a Comment