Album Review: The Game - Jesus Piece


I have a pretty simple rule when it comes to deciding whether or not I’m going to like a particular rap song: The more ominous-sounding, the better. It’s far from an all-encompassing rule, and there are a bunch of notable exceptions (“So Good,” by B.O.B., “Heartbeat” by Childish Gambino), but generally speaking the heavier it hits, the more I enjoy it. This explains (if anyone’s curious) why I have such mixed feelings about Eminem’s catalog – for every gimmicky, annoying song like “My Name is,” or “The Real Slim Shady,” he has one like “Stan,” or “8 Mile,” which both paint a vivid portrait of depression and desperation.

So, which category does TheGame’s newest CD, Jesus Piece fall under? I’ll give you a hint, and then you can tell me: The opening beat would fit in quite comfortably if it was playing in the background of a homicide investigation, and the first line of the CD is “Who the fuck’s scared now?” In fact, I’ll break the album down and count “The Number of Songs on Jesus Piece That Would Comfortably Fit in If Played in the Background of a Homicide Investigation or Other Type of Active Crime Scene.” I counted 5 – easily – and I could probably make an argument that the number could be closer to 8.

I had something of a moment on Sunday Morning when I was driving down Amherst Street and happened to see an SUV sitting on blocks, its 4 tires stolen. “Ali Bomaye,” the second track on Jesus Piece, was playing as I drove by. I wouldn’t quite call it a moment of clarity, but it felt like more than a coincidence. The incident had occurred across from The Nichols School, near Delaware Park – not exactly a seedy area. My point is this: If you drive around Buffalo listening to Jesus Piece, you are probably going to see some shit.

Keep in mind; I’m not calling The Game a criminal. I don’t know if he has a rap sheet, and I really don’t care. Also, it’s not like Jesus Piece breaks any kind of new ground – nobody is going to listen to this and say to themselves, “Holy moly, finally, a rap album about less-than-reputable activities!” It’s just that he does it insanely well. Check out the list of supporting entertainers on this album: 2 Chainz, Rick Ross, Kanye West, and Common. And that’s just in the first three songs. J. Cole, Lil’ Wayne (who I think sounds really great when he’s featured in songs and doesn’t get an opportunity to giggle like a little school girl in between punch lines), Big Sean, and Pusha T (one of the best in the biz, as far as I’m concerned) are all featured prominently in this album. That’s a scary gathering of A-list rappers. 

Highlights of the album include, “Ali Bomaye,” “All That,” and “Made Me King.” The ninth track on the album, “Heaven’s Arms,” is the lone track on the album in which The Game doesn’t call upon anybody else for assistance, as if to prove that he can do this stuff alone and he was just throwing these other characters a bone.

If Jesus Piece hadn’t been released so late in the year, it surely would’ve ended up on a few hip-hop Album of the Year lists. He really just straight-up brings it this time around. Jesus Piece comes on the heels of his mostly underwhelming 2011 release, The R.E.D. Album, which served as proof that an A-list cast of rappers doesn’t necessarily guarantee success. Jesus Piece, however, plainly proves otherwise. It’s a terrific album from a steadily solid rapper.

Grade: A



0 comments

Post a Comment