buffaBLOG's Best of 2012: Guest Picks - Patrick Simons


Editor's note: For our best of 2012 coverage, we decided to reach out to some friends of the blog to get an idea of what made the year in music so great for them.  For our final installment in the guest series, Patrick Simons, Community Manager of Block Club, submitted his best of list. 

When I was first asked to scribble something for buffaBLOG’s year in review, I told Mac that from what my memory provided me, I didn’t really spend much of 2012 listening to music that came out in 2012. My year consisted mostly of Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin albums and old Gucci Mane mixtapes, but after digging in the crates, I did find some time in the last 12 months to spin a few new releases. 


So, with that being said, behold, my loosely curated notes about some of the 
music I listened to and some of the music I saw in 2012.


Favorite Releases

Diving right in, The Idler Wheel... was, by leaps and bounds, my favorite album of 2012. Fiona Apple was hard in the paint with this one. Straight fire from start to finish. If you missed it, or wrote it off, or whatever, don't be dumb anymore.  Go listen to it.



I was sort of bummed about Young Jeezy's TM103 release. I've never really bit into any of Jeezy's studio releases, but for some reason, I was really expecting a masterpiece with this one.  Woe is me, though.  His new It's the World mixtape has been decent in it's first, and probably second last listen, but I want more of the old Snowman. Can't a guy just get another good Trap or Die mixtape?  Sheesh.



Favorite musician/band of 2012 goes to Chromatics.  Johnny Jewel was on one for 12 months straight.  He's showing no signs of slowing down either, which is wonderful news

That Symmetry mix - watch out man.  And Kill for Love. Whoa. The Let's Kiss/Sunday Morning mix. The Running from the Sun album of unreleased Kill for Love session material. That Black and White autumn mix.  Roughly four albums worth of new material and a couple tight mixes made me a happy camper in 2012.



A Karen Dalton recording from inside her Summerville, CO. cabin from 1966 was released in February. A rehearsal with her then-husband for an upcoming show was captured by one of their friends, and eventually released nearly 50 years later. Dalton only released two albums in her lifetime, as she was known to have hated time in the studio. So this collection of home recordings is a blessing. Both lulling and haunting, 1966 got a lot of rotations this year.



Average year for Gucci Main releases.  Nothing stellar, but I liked most of Trap Back.



Raekwon dropped a few tracks in the last month or so in preparation for Los Jewelry mixtape that is being released in early 2013. Shallah is sounding as slick as ever. The freestyle he did over Notorious BIG's "Who Shot Ya?" is unreal. "Concord jet to the Congos."   




Other favorite releases from 2012 include:

  • The Body’s reissue of their 2004 S/T debut album. Shout out to Satan.

  • TNGHT – Lunice and Hudson Mohawke’s S/T beat project was wild.

  • I’ve got the reissue of D’Angelo’s 2000 sophomore album, Voodoo being delivered any day now. Excited about that classic.

  • Frank Ocean’s Channel Orange

  • Usher’s Diplo-produced “Climax” single.

Honorable mentions:

  • How to Dress Well - Total Loss

  • Ty Segall and White Fence - Hair

  • Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

  • Thee Oh Sees - Putrifiers II

  • Beach House - Bloom

Live Shows



I was fortunate enough to see a fair amount of live shows this year. My first quarter concert attendance was rather lacking, but I think I’ve done my best to compile what was important. 




Favorites: 



The Impossibles – The Mohawk, Austin, TX

I up and flew to Texas to see my favorite band of all time play a reunion concert in June. The Impossibles played back-to-back dates nearly 10 years to the day after their final show on June 2, 2002. I missed them when they came through Buffalo with Grade and The Movielife in 1999, so I’d been waiting 13 years to see these guys.



From what I can piece together, The Impossibles pretty much got me in to music. I remember the first time my cousin Frank played them for me, we were in my bedroom at my parents’ house on Christmas. Those ska chords got me. If you still fuck with ska music, I probably got love for you.



Anyway, words can’t really describe my experience at this show, so it’s not really worth explaining. And unless you know who The Impossibles are, it wouldn’t matter if I did. Very broadly, the show brought me to tears on more than one occasion. Best concert of my life, by a long shot. 



GZA & Killer Mike – Town Ballroom

If you were at the show, you probably caught me front row, rapping Liquid Swords in entirety, on multiple occasions, into GZA’s microphone as he held it out for me.



The next day, Killer Mike happened to be stuck in Buffalo, so I invited him to my house for dinner via Twitter. Black bean and sweet potato burgers and a fall salad. He graciously declined as he got a hotel outside of the city, but insisted I reach out the next time he’s in Buffalo.



Fiona Apple – Kleinhan’s

Man, this poor girl looked like a dishrag when she first came out. Strung out on something. Her voice was all there though. Once she got some blood flowing and her face got some color, she really let it rip. The highlight for me was “I Know.”



Every Time I Die – Mohawk Place

You might have caught me nearly teary-eyed at this show too. The closing of Mohawk Place has got me shook, but these guys made it seem all right for at least a couple hours. The last time I saw ETID was at their Christmas show at a bowling alley in North Tonawanda a few years back. I forgot what I’ve been missing.


These guys are serious showmen. Andy Williams in the pit playing some sludge metal riffs. Keith Buckley laying upside down over a 10-foot-tall speaker, barfing lyrics. Jordan Buckley crowd surfing with his guitar in one hand. Merry Christmas.


Thee Oh Sees & Ty Segal – Town Ballroom

Punk as fuck.

Honorable Mention:
- Wu-Tang Clan – Town Ballroom
- The Mighty Mighty Bosstones – Thursday at the Harbor
- Sleigh Bells – Town Ballroom
- AraabMuzik – Soundlab
- Dr. Ooo – DBGB
- Raekwon – Noir
- Curren$y – Town Ballroom
- Cursive & Cymbals Eat Guitars – Mohawk Place


So while I know I missed some good stuff in 2012, it turns out I did catch some really solid tunes this year. 2013 seems to be shaping up as well. 

New Juelz Santana mixtape drops the second week of January. Hoping D’Angelo’s follow up to Voodoo drops this year. There’ve been talks of a new Wu-Tang Clan album. Video recordings from The Impossibles reunion shows are to be released. Looking forward to new Pusha T tracks, the new Devendra Banhart album, and hopefully more music from Wise Blood. 

Happy new year y’all. Go check some of this stuff out.

Mad love.


~Patrick Simons

1 comments

  1. I bet you were listening to The Impossibles' "White Christmas" - MM

Post a Comment