Uncovered Covers(Holiday Edition): Woods and The XX cover Vince Guaraldi and Wham

So, I had every intention of finding a new cover that was not holiday related. However, almost every cover floating around this week is a holiday cover, so I relented. The question is, which holiday cover to choose? If you are me, you cover them both! Bonus content!

First up, we have Woods covering Vince Guaraldi's "Christmas Time is Here." Woods obviously make it very, well, woods-y by turning the piano driven track into something more low-fi and psychedelic.

Next up, we have the second greatest Christmas song of all time, Wham!'s "Last Christmas." Now before I tell you about The XX's cover, I have a few things I want to say about this song. One, it is great, don't argue with me on this one, the original is great stuff, seriously. Two, I feel like, looking at the lyrics, George Michael is just asking for the same problem he had the Christmas before. You would think, given what happened to him, he would be way more cautious in giving his heart to someone during the holidays. He basically establishes that he isn't the best judge of character so how do we know if it is really "someone special" this year. Sorry, I am just concerned.

Anyway, The XX's cover is underscores the emotional devastation at the heart of this sad tale, mostly because it is sung by the XX who have made this song much more sparse and icy. All in all, a good cover.
So, there you have it, a holiday edition of "Uncovered Covers." I leave you with this photo of myself, in case you ever wonder what the writers on this site look like. Happy Holidays!


Michael Torsell

0 comments

Post a Comment