A Grand Unified Theory for 2013


Last week, I contemplated doing a proper 2013 wishlist for my weekly column but punted on the idea, something I regretted almost immediately on Friday when Gusto's critics aired their 2013 wishlists in the paper, beating me thoroughly to the punch and killing that notion. So, no 2013 wishlist. But I do have one overriding wish, and I've got to get off my chest, so here it is: my wish for Buffalo in 2013 is that this is the year we the public go all in on the things that are really cooking in Buffalo right now: the arts and culturals, the food scene, and of course our live music scene... and blow them wide open. There's no rule saying that sports loving working class Rust Belt cities can't fully embrace their arts and cultural institutions, enjoy good food and drink, or become active hotbeds for indie music. The options and possibilities for Buffalo are endless right now, they're connected anyways, and the potential is there, but we just need to get on with it. 

Louis Grachos is right. We as a city can and should define ourselves as something more than a faded working class Rust Belt city. Not something different, because again they're not mutually exclusive, something more. An open city that eats and drinks locally, takes full advantage of it's arts scene and supports it, goes to Shakespeare in Delaware Park to catch a play outdoors and booze it up with everybody else, and gets into it's thriving and diverse music scene.  

That's what I want for 2013... that and for somebody to buy the Mohawk. I don't know about that second one, but I think that other thing is doable. 



Cliff Parks




0 comments

Post a Comment