Cover Bands are Kinda Weird


I had this thought the other day. I was listening to Charles Bradley cover, "Stay Away," by Nirvana (listen below) and it was just so utterly incredible I can't even put it into words. At that moment, I wished all Charles Bradley ever did was cover Nirvana, despite being a great artist in his own right.

But let's be honest, most people would HATE Charles Bradley if he sang for a Nirvana cover band. For one, it doesn't make any sense, but more importantly, cover bands, or "tribute bands" as they like to be called, are not a respected commodity. They are trivial, one-dimensional, and the exact opposite of what we consider to be "artistic endeavors". They are entertainment first and foremost, and entertainers never get their due in music. Art and commerce rarely mix.

So isn't it ironic when a band covers a song and they are geniuses for doing so, adding their own artistic flair and flavorings to the tune, yet they are chastised when they cover a collection of songs? I suppose if the band is "legit" and they cover something no one would have expected, it would add to their credibility. The Flaming Lips covered Dark Side of the Moon and it was a genius move. Nobody expected it, yet we knew it would be a tremendous success. Everybody loves that album. Can you imagine the Flaming Lips covering the New Radicals or any of Motley Crue's 90's albums? After the irony dissipated, you'd be quick to belt out a little lol and quickly toss that thing in the trash. For the most part though bands can't get away with it, especially in the "live" capacity. Metallica cover bands are probably the worst thing ever.

I like cover bands though and I think I like them for the very reason most people hate them. They lack any kind of artistic pretense. They know what they are and what they are is stupid. But stupid can be fun. I wish hipsters could appreciate the simple beauty of a whoopi cushion.

I don't know if I have a point here. I don't think that I do. But I will say this. Going to see Big Balls (local AC/DC cover band) or Supercharger (90's cover band) is a blast. It's guilt-free, bang your head Disney rock. Full retard as Robert Downey Jr. would say (And you never go full retard).



jon krol

0 comments

Post a Comment