Editors note: Every month, we will be sharing posts from local zine 'Buffalo's Okay,' a monthly publication from Black Dots Record Store owner Josh Smith. This interview with Potty Mouth originally appeared in the zine's first issue in October of 2013. New issues may be picked up, free of charge, at Black Dots (223 Lafayette Avenue).
Fast-rising poster children for the Western Mass lady-punk scene, POTTY MOUTH graced Buffalo with a special live performance last August alongside locals SPACE WOLVES and CROSS STITCH at the Glitterbox. If you’ve yet to hear their signature style of dark-yet-peppy, saccharine-sweet indie pop, take a moment and track down the records. Their new LP, titled Hell Bent, just dropped on Ye Olde Flame Records.
Fast-rising poster children for the Western Mass lady-punk scene, POTTY MOUTH graced Buffalo with a special live performance last August alongside locals SPACE WOLVES and CROSS STITCH at the Glitterbox. If you’ve yet to hear their signature style of dark-yet-peppy, saccharine-sweet indie pop, take a moment and track down the records. Their new LP, titled Hell Bent, just dropped on Ye Olde Flame Records.
Buffalo everyman and local idiot Sketchy
Nick invited the girls to join him for a brief, sit-down interview for the
inaugural edition of "On the boyfriend couch. . . " I was there, too.
Sketchy Nick
First of all, what’s everyone name and what do you play in your band?
First of all, what’s everyone name and what do you play in your band?
Ally
I’m Ally, I play bass.
Victoria
I’m Victoria, I play drums.
I’m Victoria, I play drums.
Phoebe
I’m Phoebe, I play lead guitar
I’m Phoebe, I play lead guitar
Abby
I’m Abby, I play rhythm guitar and lead vocals.
I’m Abby, I play rhythm guitar and lead vocals.
Sketchy Nick
I assume you've made a ton of friends on the road, but I don't even want to hear about that. What people or entities are at the top of your “Enemies List?”
I assume you've made a ton of friends on the road, but I don't even want to hear about that. What people or entities are at the top of your “Enemies List?”
Abby
Our enemies list? But what if they read this and they come after us? Is this collectively?
Our enemies list? But what if they read this and they come after us? Is this collectively?
Ally
Like half the people in Ann Arbor last night... No, all the bands we played with were great. It wasn't the bands. It was a guy who snuck a picture of us when we were sitting on the couch and didn't tell us.
Like half the people in Ann Arbor last night... No, all the bands we played with were great. It wasn't the bands. It was a guy who snuck a picture of us when we were sitting on the couch and didn't tell us.
Sketchy Nick
So some creepster from Ann Arbor...
So some creepster from Ann Arbor...
Phoebe
There’s this one guy in my town that I don't like. He wont leave me alone. He's really scary. His name's Jimmy, and he's notorious around there.
There’s this one guy in my town that I don't like. He wont leave me alone. He's really scary. His name's Jimmy, and he's notorious around there.
Sketchy Nick
He's on your enemies list, so what are you doing to get him?
He's on your enemies list, so what are you doing to get him?
Phoebe
I'm running away very fast in the other direction.
I'm running away very fast in the other direction.
Sketchy Nick
So if you end up on Potty Mouth's enemies list, you don't really have anything to worry about. Does anyone else have a very personal enemy? You guys are just very lovable and loving?
So if you end up on Potty Mouth's enemies list, you don't really have anything to worry about. Does anyone else have a very personal enemy? You guys are just very lovable and loving?
Ally
No!
No!
Sketchy Nick
Then how do you not have enemies?!
Then how do you not have enemies?!
Ally
We've had a lot of fun on this tour, but there are aspects about people that really annoy me.
We've had a lot of fun on this tour, but there are aspects about people that really annoy me.
Abby
Maybe anyone who comments on Brooklyn Vegan. Not the website, just the people who comment on the website.
Maybe anyone who comments on Brooklyn Vegan. Not the website, just the people who comment on the website.
Ally:
The ones that say they hope we get into a car accident and die.
The ones that say they hope we get into a car accident and die.
Abby
Or rate how they would have sex with us based on the alcohol that they would need to consume beforehand.
Or rate how they would have sex with us based on the alcohol that they would need to consume beforehand.
Phoebe
Yeah, I require a bottle of Jack, by the way.
Yeah, I require a bottle of Jack, by the way.
Sketchy Nick
Wow! You require a lethal amount of alcohol? That's horrible! So moving on from enemies, your new record is delayed. Who is to blame?
Wow! You require a lethal amount of alcohol? That's horrible! So moving on from enemies, your new record is delayed. Who is to blame?
Ally
None of us. I think it was ultimately probably a marketing decision. The labels decided that a lot of people release records in August, and then you have Labor Day weekend when no one's doing anything. I think early Fall, September seemed like the prime time because...
None of us. I think it was ultimately probably a marketing decision. The labels decided that a lot of people release records in August, and then you have Labor Day weekend when no one's doing anything. I think early Fall, September seemed like the prime time because...
Josh
Back to school!
Back to school!
Ally
Exactly, back to school. It’s allowing them to send in promo CDs to radio stations and whatever. I think if we had done it this week in August, it would have been more of a rush. The UK label hasn't even put the record into production yet. Phoebe is sill doing the art.
Exactly, back to school. It’s allowing them to send in promo CDs to radio stations and whatever. I think if we had done it this week in August, it would have been more of a rush. The UK label hasn't even put the record into production yet. Phoebe is sill doing the art.
Sketchy Nick
So the European label is partially to blame?
So the European label is partially to blame?
Ally
No, no don't twist that!
No, no don't twist that!
Sketchy Nick
Okay. You want an untwistable question? What physical ailments or mental disorders do you possess, collectively or individually?
Okay. You want an untwistable question? What physical ailments or mental disorders do you possess, collectively or individually?
Abby
I'm allergic to a lot of things. Peanuts, nuts, coconut, lentils, feathers, cats...
I'm allergic to a lot of things. Peanuts, nuts, coconut, lentils, feathers, cats...
Sketchy Nick
Do you hate and resent the things that you're allergic to?
Do you hate and resent the things that you're allergic to?
Abby
No. I mean, I've always lived without them so I don't care.
No. I mean, I've always lived without them so I don't care.
Sketchy Nick
That's it, just a few allergies? Potty Mouth is a very healthy band. You mentioned Ann Arbor as being your least favorite city to play in...
That's it, just a few allergies? Potty Mouth is a very healthy band. You mentioned Ann Arbor as being your least favorite city to play in...
Ally
No.
No.
Sketchy Nick
No? What is your least favorite city to play in?
No? What is your least favorite city to play in?
Phoebe
I think we just had weird shows. I don't know, I think the Ann Arbor show was good last night. Oh, I know! What's that city...
I think we just had weird shows. I don't know, I think the Ann Arbor show was good last night. Oh, I know! What's that city...
Ally
Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
Phoebe
Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Sorry!
Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Sorry!
Sketchy NickBecause the bands were bad?
Ally
All of them were sick.
All of them were sick.
Victoria
No, that was Tennessee.
No, that was Tennessee.
Phoebe
Also, we played on a stage, and I don't like playing on stages, that always makes the shows bad.
Also, we played on a stage, and I don't like playing on stages, that always makes the shows bad.
Sketchy Nick
Okay, so what is your least favorite band that you've played with. Who's really terrible performance-wise or just writes crap or really couldn't handle their liquor or couldn't play their instruments? Who's garbage?
Okay, so what is your least favorite band that you've played with. Who's really terrible performance-wise or just writes crap or really couldn't handle their liquor or couldn't play their instruments? Who's garbage?
Ally
That band from Detroit.
That band from Detroit.
Abby
I like their music, though.
I like their music, though.
Phoebe
Yeah, but they were like puking on stage on purpose... The Sunbirds.
Yeah, but they were like puking on stage on purpose... The Sunbirds.
Sketchy Nick
Potty Mouth hates the Sunbirds! Not to put you on the spot or anything, but isn't Buffalo great?
Potty Mouth hates the Sunbirds! Not to put you on the spot or anything, but isn't Buffalo great?
Phoebe
Well, yeah, the last time we played Buffalo, it was awesome.
Well, yeah, the last time we played Buffalo, it was awesome.
*Potty Mouth laughs*
Josh
What the fuck?!
What the fuck?!
Sketchy Nick
Potty Mouth hates us! Do all of the members of Potty Mouth hate Buffalo?
Potty Mouth hates us! Do all of the members of Potty Mouth hate Buffalo?
Ally
No, we love Buffalo. My aunt lived here her whole life. She's dead now, but I have very fond memories of coming to Buffalo, such as the time my dad walked around my aunt's neighborhood wearing a Giants windbreaker, and he got rocks thrown at him by people who said, “Fuck off. The Bills rule!” People literally threw fucking rocks at him.
No, we love Buffalo. My aunt lived here her whole life. She's dead now, but I have very fond memories of coming to Buffalo, such as the time my dad walked around my aunt's neighborhood wearing a Giants windbreaker, and he got rocks thrown at him by people who said, “Fuck off. The Bills rule!” People literally threw fucking rocks at him.
Sketchy Nick
And you're telling this story because it’s an example of fond memories of Buffalo.
And you're telling this story because it’s an example of fond memories of Buffalo.
Ally
I just couldn’t believe it. It was like Christmas time, and my dad came back to my aunt's house and was like, “I just got rocks thrown at me.”
I just couldn’t believe it. It was like Christmas time, and my dad came back to my aunt's house and was like, “I just got rocks thrown at me.”
Sketchy Nick
Seriously, fuck the Giants. Your last record was put out by three different labels. Can you rank them in order of competence and prestige?
Seriously, fuck the Giants. Your last record was put out by three different labels. Can you rank them in order of competence and prestige?
Phoebe
Pass!
Pass!
Ally
Yeah, pass.
Yeah, pass.
Sketchy Nick
Potty Mouth, why aren't you more hateful, or at least more willing to express your hatred?
Potty Mouth, why aren't you more hateful, or at least more willing to express your hatred?
Abby
All of our hate comes out in the van, and then we're good to go.
All of our hate comes out in the van, and then we're good to go.
Josh
In the van, that's the only place where it's safe.
In the van, that's the only place where it's safe.
Phoebe
I don't know, I think sometimes we're hateful.
I don't know, I think sometimes we're hateful.
Ally
I don't know, I think being negative in general just brings us down. I mean, if we spent all of our time saying everything we hated, I don't think we would have as much fun. We turn everything into a big joke if we can.
I don't know, I think being negative in general just brings us down. I mean, if we spent all of our time saying everything we hated, I don't think we would have as much fun. We turn everything into a big joke if we can.
Sketchy Nick
So Potty Mouth is a novelty band.
So Potty Mouth is a novelty band.
Phoebe
It's a novelty. We love novelties.
It's a novelty. We love novelties.
Ally
Yeah, like Spenser’s Gifts and Sam Goody.
Yeah, like Spenser’s Gifts and Sam Goody.
Sketchy Nick
So, you talk a little bit about hate in the van. Top five ways to murder someone, least to most satisfying?
So, you talk a little bit about hate in the van. Top five ways to murder someone, least to most satisfying?
Abby
How about you answer that one? Because that seems to be kind of like your thing.
How about you answer that one? Because that seems to be kind of like your thing.
Sketchy Nick
Murder?
Phoebe
You're the one with that knife tied to your belt.
You're the one with that knife tied to your belt.
Abby
Yeah, and you were all like, “no body, no murder” in the basement.
Yeah, and you were all like, “no body, no murder” in the basement.
Sketchy Nick
Oh, those are the rules of murder! No body, no murder. Don't have any accomplices. Never tell anyone. Don't try to eliminate the evidence; add more evidence. Those are just good, solid rules for getting away with murder. So you find murder very unsatisfying, alright. [Editor's Note: Jesus fucking christ Nick]
Abby
Is this, like, some Nardwuar shit right now? That's what I want to know.
Is this, like, some Nardwuar shit right now? That's what I want to know.
Phoebe
What does that mean, Abby?
What does that mean, Abby?
Abby
Do none of you know who Nardwuar is? You're actually like a recreation of him. [Editor's Note: She's got you there]
Do none of you know who Nardwuar is? You're actually like a recreation of him. [Editor's Note: She's got you there]
Josh
He doesn't ask about murder!
He doesn't ask about murder!
Abby
Where are my Green Day records?
Where are my Green Day records?
Sketchy Nick
Nardwuar is overwhelmingly positive and I'm full of nothing but malice. You guys all learned your instruments together, right?
Phoebe
No.
No.
Abby
Lies. Who told you that?
Lies. Who told you that?
Sketchy Nick
The Internet.
Abby
Oh, well you were misinformed.
Oh, well you were misinformed.
Phoebe
You tell him Abby!
You tell him Abby!
Ally
Basically, Victoria has been playing drums for a really long time, since she was a baby. I was in two bands before Potty Mouth, so I had been playing for a couple years. Phoebe and Abby kind of started playing guitar around Potty Mouth but what you probably read on the Internet was that we all felt really encouraged and supported when we got together.
Basically, Victoria has been playing drums for a really long time, since she was a baby. I was in two bands before Potty Mouth, so I had been playing for a couple years. Phoebe and Abby kind of started playing guitar around Potty Mouth but what you probably read on the Internet was that we all felt really encouraged and supported when we got together.
Josh
Is that the last question?
Is that the last question?
Sketchy Nick
That's all I necessarily want to ask if you're not going to answer the tough questions.
We're good girls...
~ Post by Josh Smith





bravo!