Tonight: The Lone Bellow


Less than 72 hours after The Lone Bellow’s debut album came out earlier this year, I wrote an earnest, if not overzealous review of the album, in which I proclaimed that if this band doesn't move you, you are not a human being. I then took to Twitter and pleaded with the band to come to Buffalo. Eight months and a more relaxed, balanced opinion of the band later, they've made it to Buffalo and are playing tonight at the Tralf. I wouldn't go as far as to call it kismet, and I’m sure it has entirely nothing to do with my January request, but hey, they are finally here.

If you’re unfamiliar with their music, it’s a beautiful blend of alternative-country and folk, a southern-influenced, Brooklyn-cultivated mix of heartland and big city. Some of the melodies and chords are soft enough to hear the ghost of War Horse next door at Shea's, but then they’ll get together and belt out a group harmony that can be heard over rush-hour traffic. Their range is absolutely incredible, and their passion is extraordinary.

I’d love to promise that you’ll be blown away, but the last time I promised something in regards to The Lone Bellow it was that they were going to be bigger than Mumford and Sons. I may have missed the mark on that one, but how about this: The Lone Bellow are going to make you happy that you decided to go out on a cold Thursday night, and will change your mind about a musical style you may have otherwise ignored.

The show starts at 8. Aoife O’Donovan opens. Tickets are $14 and available here.


         

0 comments

Post a Comment