Where do you listen to *free* music online?



The way we listen to music is constantly changing. We've seen so many different forms from vinyl to cassette tape, CDs, satellite radio, mp3 players back to vinyl... and obviously a lot more examples there too. Online radio has been around for several years but I recently noticed how much I actually use it. In situations where I'd normally pick an album to listen to, I find myself pulling up  LCD Soundsystem pandora radio on my ipod touch and calling it a day. 




We recently had our blog added to Hype Machine, one of my favorite online music databases. It collects tracks from blogs all over the world creating a collection of the most talked about music right now. The site itself is set up beautiful, using HTML5 it allows you to browse for new music while you listen to another song easily. If you are into remixes then I highly suggest you check out Hype Machine. You can "heart" the songs you love making them more popular on the charts and it saves it in your favorite songs to listen to again later. Once you make your log in make sure you subscribe to our account at buffaBLOG's Hypem.


The most popular online radio resources I know of are pandora radio and last.fm. I've been in numerous arguments over which one is better and I can't really pick a side. Last.fm is pretty cool because it "scrobbles" with your iTunes, hypem and other applications to create the ultimate music recommendations for you. You can create a user profile and connect with friends, suggesting songs to them. My favorite aspect about pandora is the thumbs up feature. I can be on home or work computer or my ipod and "thumbs up" a song that I like and days later go back and see what it was. I've discovered so many artists this way.



One of the newest online radio technologies I have discovered is a site called Musicovery. On this site there is an interactive chart called the "sensitive mood pad" where you can pick whether you want your music to be more energetic, calm, dark or positive. You pick a square and it makes a radio station off of your mood.  There is also a dance radio and artist radio option. Similar to hypem and pandora you can "heart" your favorite songs. The use of color and overall appearance of Musicovery is by far my favorite. 


As you can tell because we use it a lot on buffaBLOG, we are HUGE fans of Grooveshark. Fairly new to the scene, Grooveshark is one of the largest free online music databases.  Users can upload their music libraries for free streaming to other users. You can add songs to your own library, create playlists and discover new artists using the "similar artists" feature. We constantly use their widgets to help share music to our readers and update our "what's buffaBLOG listening to now" playlist on our site. We are currently VIP members which you do have to pay for, but its worth the money. 


I know your favorite online music resource is buffaBLOG but it can't hurt to try out some others. Let us know if theres a site you use we should know about. While writing this post and I discovered a new song I love so I thought I might as well share it with you. Enjoy.


  The Dodos - Dont Stop by Ragged Words

3 comments

  1. like the post!!

    if you guys like dance, electronic, house, techno etc...you should check out digitally imported (www.di.fm), i'm a fan of it and they have an app for your phone too!!

    Seb

  2. It is really a very fantastic blog. This is liking by everyone. I'm a fan of it and they have an app for your phone too!!

  3. You provide great information about the listen free music.You can create a user profile and connect with friends, suggesting songs to them. My favorite aspect about pandora is the thumbs up feature. I can be on home or work computer or my ipod and "thumbs up" a song that I like and days later go back and see what it was.
    DJ equipment

Post a Comment