Roger Bryan & the Orphans, the best act currently on Harvest Sum Records stellar lineup of Buffalo artists, are back with their latest album 37. I have a fan of Bryan since I first caught him playing with his early band, The Old Sweethearts, a few years back at Mohawk Place. When I first saw the Sweethearts playing their infectious and soulful indie rock, I was instantly hooked. Their Arms of the Town album became not only my favorite local releases, but one of my favorite albums period. I felt like I had found a new favorite band and was waiting for them to hit big so I could always say I saw them way back when. I caught the group one last time before they sadly parted ways. The members would go on to form their own bands, many of whom are currently part of Harvest Sum as well, including the likes of On Beta and Johnny Nobody.
Bryan, who seems to be the reigning king of Buffalo indie rock, always stood out to me though. When I saw the Old Sweethearts, and every time I have caught Bryan since going solo, I felt as if I was watching a national indie artist, who just happened to play in Buffalo all of the time. Buffalo is lucky to have an artist like him and while I could at any point see him on the road opening for a band like Bright Eyes, I selfishly would not mind having he and his band stick around town for his always great shows. Next week, the band's follow up to their 2009 LP Wolves will be released. 37 upon the first few listens comes off sounding like the one of the best albums Ryan Adams never made; a collection of pure roots Americana. All of the best acts that Bryan seems to be influenced by can be heard over the 10 new tracks: the early crunchiness of modern alt country forefathers Uncle Tupelo("White", "In the Red"), the angst heavy college rock riffs of the Replacements("Tell You", "Radio"), the subtle soul of Wilco("Two Eyes"), and of course, the heart on your sleeve earnestness of Adams(pretty much the whole album).
The album's second half sees the three guitar attack that dominates from song to song complimented by electronic organ and additional strings on album standout "Anchors", while the closing keys on "Easier" recall Bryan's Old Sweethearts days. On 37, Roger Bryan & the Orphans have cemented their status, if it hadn't already, as Buffalo's premiere band. The album has one of those anywhere feels to it; so Buffalo, yet would not feel out of place soundtracking a drive through the Midwest. That Arms of the Town record that holds such a dear place in my heart and iPod may have to move over for a while with 37 coming out. Those who can not wait until Saturday's CD release party at Mohawk Place to hear the new album, the band has been nice enough to stream the entire album at their bandcamp page. 37 by Roger Bryan & the Orphans will be released on June 21st.
~mm





bring back the old sweets!