Bonnaroo recap: Thursday



If there is one thing that never changes about Bonnaroo, it's the unforgivable heat. Dry, overbearing relentless heat. And because we've been here since Tuesday volunteering, our sunburns are far more advanced than others.

Since Tuesday we've been bumming around Manchester just waiting for the fun to start. We ate some Sonic, walked the camp grounds and worked various jobs as a festival  volunteer 'floater'. I was assigned to help build a beer can art installation at pod 1. Our other blogger helped pick up artist at the Nashville airport, including Brian Henson, the touring drummer for the Drums, and some of Weezy's entourage. By 7pm we were done working and off to enjoy some music

School of Seven Bells had that dreamy electronic drone we've come to expect since seeing them open for M83 in 2007. For whatever reason, I was unimpressed with Best Coast. I loved her debut album but just couldn't get into it. The Drums were spectacular. I found lead singer to be charismatic, energetic and all around enjoyable. Aside from the usual hits, the band also played some new material including the hyper fast downer "Money" about always being broke. Sleigh Bells was probably the best show of the night. With a furious set of strobe lights and heavy ass guitar & drums, it felt like an all out assault on the senses. It also was the only show so far with crowd surfing hipsters which actually felt completely appropriate. Professional comedian and indie rock rapper Donald Glover threw down an awesome set of rhymes about super Saiyan Goku & being on a tv show. You know, the usually type of rap material. By the time Deerhunter hit the stage it was time to go.  If I wanted to have any chance to make it to my 630am work shift sacrifices must be made.











0 comments

Post a Comment