Review: Phish



Well, my adventure to Darien Lake to take part in another Phish concert has come and gone and what a day it was.  The day began as it always does for a Phish show, cold beers, good friends, hot sausages ready to be grilled.  This Phish show was special though, they boys went ahead and rented out the amusement park for only concert goers to ride the rides.  What could be better than riding the Superman with hundreds of your closest Phish phriends?  The weather was perfect, a bit windy, but really helped with the insane heat.  My iPhone read eighty degrees, but it felt way more like ninety plus, enough about that though, it is time to talk about the show.


We packed up our gear and began our trek down the hill to get to our seats.  After grabbing a very "cheap" beer, we made our way to our seats just as the gentlemen in Phish took the stage and began noodling around.  With everyone cheering and eagerly awaiting their first song, Trey Anastasio began to play "Nellie Kane," a Hot Rize cover of their traditional bluegrass tune.  A great way to start things off slowly, letting everyone know that there was going to be a build up during this show that was going to explode.  Next up was "Mellow Mood" and a fitting "Buffalo Bill".  Each song slowly getting faster and at this point the groove had begun.  A raucous "Kill Devil Falls" began what may be one of the best Phish concerts I have attended.  I left my seat to go grab another "moderately" priced beverage, but was stopped dead in my tracks to the first few notes of "Brian and Robert," which has been a favorite of mine since I first heard Phish.  The next string of tunes could have ended the show and I would have went home pleased as punch.  "46 Days," "Limb By Limb," and what may have almost brought the pavilion tent down to close out the first set, "Character Zero," had everyone hugging and belting out each word.


After a short break, Phish was back.  They donned their instruments and geared up to rage.  Another cover led us back in to the music.  This time it was "Golden Age" by TV On The Radio.  It was a very unexpected second set opener, but was widely welcomed, mainly in part that it was not "Drowned" by The Who.  By now it was dark and next up was "Mikes Song" which began the beloved glow stick war that Phish concerts are famous for.  Mikes was so thrilling I nearly couldn't stop dancing before I heard the slap bass that begins "Weekapaug Groove" and from that moment on the place erupted in to what could only be described as pure insanity.  With the place trembling due to the massive dance party that was going on, Phish laid down a few more gems, before going in to "2001" and culminated with a fan favorite "Harry Hood."  I am still singing "Where do you go when the lights go out?" while I sit here and write this.  The quartet took to the front of the stage and waved goodbye.  As is tradition for any concert, they boys came back out to grace us with one more tune.  Led Zeppelins "Good Times Bad Times" sent us all on our way back to the parking lot with giant smiles on everyones face. 
cs




Again, another successful Phish show in Buffalo.  Thanks to the weather, friends, cold beer, and delicious sausages for making the whole day an incredible experience.  If there is one thing I took from this show, it would be the next time someone asks me, "When does Summer begin?" I can now safely reply with, "When Phish comes to Darien Lake."

0 comments

Post a Comment