We arrived inside after the opener (who remains a mystery to us) due to the wait to get in, and the Juggalo nature to mingle. We met dozens of Juggalos before we even got in (including upstate ninjas Fresruoy Llik), teaming up on “Family” chants, Juggalo calls (“WOOP WOOP”), “Magic magic ninjas” goofs, and through my habitual nature to find the bar at shows. We arrived inside, and were promptly separated when ICP started. The curtains opened, and as Shaggy 2 Dope and Violent J walked on stage, the vintage set was revealed. No over-the-top topical set, no album hyping designs, just a vintage Carnival of Carnage era logo hanging, and the old school Faygo bins. They opened with one of their oldest recorded singles, featured on rarities collection Forgotten Freshness Vol. 2, “Dog Beats”. Once I understood fully what was happening in front of me, I grabbed some photos on the high rise and made a break for the pit.

On my way, my nose led me to a guy having a solo burn session so I stopped to chat. We talked about how it was his first show, and how excited he was to be there. I thought it odd that we were nearly the same age (mid-twenties) and he’d been “…waiting so long to see them…”. Out of nowhere I was hit in the backpack with a bottle of Faygo, and it shot primarily on him. He was livid, and thought someone threw a drink at him. I tried for about five seconds to calm him down, claiming “It’s root beer, asshole,”, but when I saw it was a moot point, I simply walked away. A great show was going on, and I had just wasted moments with a fake ass Juggaho. Fortunately, he was the only one I encountered for the remainder of the night. I grabbed a drink, and continued my trek down to the floor.
Most of my crown and Coke ended up on me, but I could have cared less. At one point, I remember almost wanting to pour it on myself, as true Juggalos brandish their level of Faygo coverage after shows. Pulling out all the stops, Shaggz and J blasted out a set that didn’t pass the border of 1999’s The Amazing Jeckel Brothers. The set included solo songs “Fuck Off” (Shaggy), and “The Juggla” (Violent J), as well tons with the vintage back and forth the duo has developed with over 20 years of collaboration. Playing a spectacular set that included old Jokers’ Card material (including “3 Rings”, “Murder-Go-Round”, “Boogie Woogie Wu”, “The Neden Game”, “12”, “Dead Body Man”),and EP and rare material (“Santa’s a Fat Bitch”, “50 Bucks”, and possibly an “I Stuck Her With My Wang”), the Clowns played for the audience.

After the show, I reunited with my brother (drenched in Faygo, with a torn shirt), and we discussed how this was a set for the Juggalos. I was finally able to describe why ICP is where they are to Juggahos. The moment of clarity came during the ass end of the show, as Violent J brought his son, painted like his dad, out to drench the crowd alongside his papa. ICP relates to their fans on the family level. They started out as nobodies, and with the support of 20 years of Juggalos, have amassed an empire based around their multiple platinum albums, record label, wrestling organization, and independence from the corporate American mainstream. ICP has truly grown since leaving Island Records, and has truly been allowed to flourish since establishing Psychopathic as the mainstay of American horrorcore. But no matter how they grow, they understand it was those original fans that supported those original Jokers’ Cards that have made them what they are, and they continually show the fans the love and respect that they get back. ICP truly loves the Juggalos as family, and even to this day, are still finding ways to give back to them. This show was a great way to do that. And on behalf of all Juggalos in attendance, thanks ninjas. MCL.
~sm




Great review brotha! http://truejuggalofamily.com/9276
Whoop whoop!
its flesruoy llik not fresruoy and the url is screwed up too