Best of 2011 Staff Picks: Kyle



Favorite Album of 2011

Fucked Up - David Comes to Life: I listened to The Chemistry of Common Life as much as most people did, but I never wanted to praise it as much as a Polaris-Prize album deserved. I kind of missed the boat on it to be honest, I wasn't exactly ready for it. To me that record had a lot of indulgences that I wasn't really down with even if I did have some amazing songs on it. While the instrumental sections were beautiful they felt out of place on what was otherwise a sweaty hardcore record. I later found out how wrong this line of thinking thanks to revisiting it, and it's all thanks to 2011's David Comes To Life. The instrumental tracks do not make a return (save for the intro), and in place Fucked Up has inserted a narrative. That's right everyone, DCTL is a concept album. It's about a lightbulb factory worker who finds the love of his life and loses her to a horrible accident. The sense of ambition on this record is palpable, towering at an insane 78 minutes of aural assault. Over the course of this massive release our narrator goes through all the stages of grief in an interesting and relate-able way.

The sound of this record falls somewhere short of the ambition the band previously displayed on releases like Hidden World and Chemistry, and I'm thankful for that because the narrative of this record is daunting enough. The sound of this album is closer to Hidden World  but lacks the epic jam-band aspects of that release. The instrumentation here is a lot more traditional than Chemistry, you won't find any flutes or horns. Structurally, Fucked Up has never been as straight forward and there's honest to goodness pop choruses littering the album. The guitars, while loud, are nowhere near as thick or physical as they've been in the past. The only place where the band hasn't made concessions towards making a typical indie-rock record is in Damian Abraham's vocals, which are as "hardcore" as they've ever been. It all results in an album rich with songs that I absolutely adore and an album I'll be revisiting for years to come simply to pick up on details in the narrative that I hadn't previously noticed. As well as rocking out, which is equally as important.

This album was clearly labored over in a way that no band of Fucked Up's ilk has ever attempted, in addition to this album's 18 tracks there are another 7 that were left on the cutting room floor. To make this album stand out even more the band recorded a fictional compilation of 10 different bands in David's fictional hometown of Byrdsdale Spa, UK. On that compilation Fucked Up attempted to sound like 10 different bands, and largely succeeded. Though most of this material is hit or miss and by no means essential: If you consider the entire thing one project it spans an amazing 35 tracks and over 2 hours. It's that sense of tireless ambition that makes David Comes to Life my favorite album of the year.


Honorable Mention

La Dispute - Wildlife: I sincerely apologize for this, but I'm picking another story driven hardcore album. This one is from Michigan's La Dispute. The thing that really drew me to this band is their elements of spoken word, it's incredibly interesting and gives them the ability to make their stories as dark and as detailed as they want them to be. The stories contained within paint a picture of the darkest aspects of human existence. The highlight comes on "King Park" which sets the scene of a drive-by shooting that hit an innocent target. You hear our narrator construct the scene of the crime and the victim's funeral. After the set up the narrator overhears the killer's arrest and hears him lament - "CAN I STILL GET  INTO HEAVEN IF I KILL MYSELF"? At this point my jaw drops and I'm shaken by the devastating turn the song has taken, it is in that moment that I fell in love with this band. It's emotional hardcore without any of the bullshit that's typically attached to it. It's a record about growth, illness,  and feeling trapped. I know a lot of people can't stomach emotional hardcore but in this case it's actually because of the subject matter. It's an album that will make you think and probably make you cry a little bit too --- it'll make you feel terrible in all of the best ways imaginable.

La Dispute - "King Park" by venusDELTA

Favorite Song of 2011:

"River" by Arctic Death (self-titled): Sometimes it's the simplest things that make you fall in love with a song, and that is truly the case with "River". I'm absolutely mesmerized by John Crook's vocal performance throughout the entire song, but the moment that really speaks to me is in the chorus. After John repeats "you won't" a few times he sings the line "I didn't mean what I said" in an absolutely gorgeous and squaky falsetto. In my opinion the thing that Arctic Death does best is beat the LoudQuietLoud structure popularized by the Pixies 20 years ago over the head and make it their bitch, but they do it in a garage rock asthetic. Instead of screaming as someone like Charles Thompson would the band goes for the gut with the most beautiful moments this side of a Walkmen record. I wait for the day that Arctic Death begins to expand beyond out local scene because I believe it WILL happen. There's too many amazing aspects of their music that go beyond what a local band should be able to produce. Please Buffalo, go out and support them because bands like Arctic Death are the entire reason this blog exists.



Honorable Mentions

"30" by Danny Brown (XXX): The first thing I need to mention about Danny Brown is how hilarious his music is, but he also can be quite dark. This particular song has a slow beat with sinister sounding synthesized horn and guitar. Danny's music always has an element of humor and this song is no different, with Danny spitting "Came a long way from extension cords in the window, borrowing neighbors power just to plug up the Nintendo". On "30" he uses so much energy that you practically have to beg for the song to end. I've tried many times to determine an exact amount on the number of flows Danny Brown uses in this song and have determined that I can't count that high.

Danny Brown- 30 by xskywlkr

"Takyon" by Death Grips (Ex Military): Death Grips is a werdo hip-hop group out of California that I did an artist spotlight for on this very blog a few weeks ago. The beat here is what really makes the track stand out for me. It's got a bass patern that is repeated several times that could totally rip your home, car, or sub-woofer apart. The sampled bits of Zach Hill's drumming are absolutely fantastic and MC Ride makes you terrified of every upcoming second. Besides, how can you not love a song with the opening line "Triple Six, Five, Forked Tongue"? My overall enjoyment of this song can be summed up with the following: Oh, shit I'm feelin' it. TAAAAKYONNN.

Death Grips - Exmilitary - 5 - Takyon (Death Yon) by deathgrips

Favorite Live Show of 2011

Fucked Up at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto (June 16th, 2011, NXNE Festival): I struggle to even have words to describe this show. Not only is this the best show of the year for me, it's far and away the best show I've ever been to. Seeing one of my favorite bands in their hometown city with a crowd of thousands under a hot and clear summer sky was wonderful. It was a sweaty and beautiful mess in ways that the Town Ballroom stop on the tour could not, and didn't live up to. As I slammed my body against that of Damian Abraham while he was performing I couldn't help but think that seeing Fucked Up is a religious experience, and I'm a believer. I don't even need to go into further detail of why this show was so amazing because almost the entire show is on YouTube in high quality. Enjoy --- I know I did. (did I mention it was my birthday?)



Lightning Bolt at Soundlab (April 1st, 2011) : If I had to pick my favorite noise band it would probably be Lightning Bolt because of their musicianship. Brian Chippendale is known for his chops, but I'd argue that nothing he does is all that technical from a musical standpoint. He just plays faster and more chaotic than anyone with the possible exception of Zach Hill. It's his lack of structure that really drives the band forward. Brian Gibson on the other hand is the real thing that makes seeing Lightning Bolt a real treat. The things he can do with a bass defy logic, using the right effects he can create virturally any sound he likes but it's usually the guttural tones that get the most attention. Speaking of Gibson, he's crafted his entire life building his collection of amplifiers and it nearly hit the ceiling. The band determined the venue was too small to play on the floor, but it still felt like an intimate show. I'm sure you can guess what all of this noise sounds like, but in case you can't...


(not from soundlab, nobody was recording)

Have a great new years and let's hope 2012 is as great as 2011 was.

Kyle Shoemaker

8 comments

  1. That Fucked Up show in Toronto was pretty great...Off! and the Descendants killed too-
    Jon

  2. I know about 35% of the stuff on your list. I like it!

  3. @Jon I loved Off!'s set, but unfortunately couldn't get close enough to mosh. It didn't ruin the show, but I assuredly would have loved it more had I not lost my placement due to the powerade I needed after Fucked Up.

    @Mac just 35%? I guess I'm nearly in the same boat as the only bands I knew prior to 2011 on my list are Fucked Up and Lightning Bolt.

    Seeing Arctic Death open for Tokyo Police Club in February (?) is actually what led me to start reading Buffablog.

  4. @Jon I should have mentioned, I didn't catch the Descendants because it would have meant missing PS I Love You, which was not an option.

  5. Danny Brown is sampling Metronomy's Nights Out-intro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejZaFT01u_k

  6. @Mike M good find, I didn't even think that Danny Brown used a lot of samples because the instrumentation on that album is very similar sounding throughout. I never bothered looking at who even produced it because I'm a bad journalist.

  7. This comment has been removed by the author.
  8. so yeah, calling them synthesized horns is definitely an error. Anyway, I love this sample... Nothing about the original song should really work as a hip-hop beat. Good on them to turn it into one of the best beats of 2011.

Post a Comment