Another Lamentation for the Mohawk


I've been asked to save my Mohawk Place memory for a later date, I'm in many regards I'm glad because it allows me to burnish it up a bit and focus on the beautiful aspects of the memory and of the Mohawk itself. Hey, I'm Irish, I can't help myself. That also means that I'm all tore up over the Mohawk closing down and what it means for Buffalo's music scene, so I'm taking the lamentation part of my Mohawk memory and airing it out now at the outset of my/our grieving period when the pain is still very fresh. This is a tragedy, and even if you've never been to a show at that magnificent venue, it's closing means something.

There was a great letter to the editor in last week's Artvoice about the values and virtues of public investment in the arts, and there was a part that stood out:

'It is cliché that young people are leaving Buffalo in droves. While the truth behind the numbers is much more subtle than that, the fact is that in national study after national study, and in city study after city study, cultural opportunities for young people is right behind job opportunities as a reason for staying in or moving to a region. Music, art, performance, public space to participate in these, all are critical considerations to people when deciding on a place to live.' 

Music of course plays a huge part in such quality of life discussions, and our local music scene in particular is of prime importance when talking about keeping young people in the area. And by local music scene I'm not just referring to our local bands, I'm talking about them and the national and international acts that pass through our city, and over the last five years there's been a noticeable uptick in that regard, to the extent that many regard this as the best year for live music in Buffalo history. Over the last few years Buffalo music fans have been given tantalizing glimpses of a future for our music scene, and the Mohawk played a part, being an ideal venue for bands with a debut album to flog on their first or second tour. 

With the recording industry circling the drain, it's at this grassroots level that a new music scene has thrived, and Buffalo and it's music fans increasingly have benefited. This progress however will face a serious challenge next year after the Mohawk closes and leaves a huge gap between the Ninth Ward and Soundlab and the Town Ballroom. Perhaps the Tralf, or the soon to be resurrected Showplace can step up, but those are big question marks, and I for one worry.


Cliff Parks




0 comments

Post a Comment