buffaBLOG's Best of 2012: Guest Picks - Brandon Schlia


Editor's note: For our best of 2012 coverage, we decided to reach out to some friends of the blog to get an idea of what made the year in music so great for them.  For our first installment in the guest series, Brandon Schlia of local DIY label Steak & Cake Records submitted his best of list.  Steak & Cake will be celebrating their 2nd Annual Holiday Charity Fundraiser show this Friday at Duke's.

Why do people make these lists? I guess it's good to try and compartmentalize the year as it comes to a close so that remembering it will be easier. When Mac asked me to participate in this, I was very excited but not just for the chance to parade my musical taste. It's a great opportunity to share with you some of the more hard working yet still unknown artists I've grown to know well this year. It isn't the traditional "best of 2012" scheme. If it was, I'd definitely include the new Bat for Lashes or Father John Misty. This is more about the best of the unknowns, those are my favorites anyway.


1. RADIATION CITY  - Cool Nightmare
Sometimes it's better to let the record speak for itself. I'll just say, honestly, this is the best thing I heard in 2012.

2. CODY CHESSNUT - Landing on a Hundred
I was playing this in the car the other day and my Dad fell in love with it. If anything, that establishes the retro-era presentation of this record. It sounds like it came out in 1972 on Motown and although a lot of artists today try to sound like that, none have achieved it to this degree. It was recorded in the same studio where Al Green recorded "Let's Stay Together," backed by a 10-piece band of session players.

3. MENOMENA - Moms
I've been a Menomena fan since college but after their first proper record, I was disappointed. Apparently, the underwhelmed songs can be attributed to inter-band tension and with the exit of one member prior to this record, they've returned to form. I had it on in the background but when "Don't Mess With Latexas" played, I had to stop what I was doing. It's such an uncomfortable sound, theme, recording. It's not dissonant, it's melodic but minor. If you're going to play one song of this record, listen to that one; some seriously innovative indie rock.

4. HOSPITALITY - Hospitality
I saw them open for Here We Go Magic in Pittsburgh and talked to the drummer for awhile about how great Levon Helm is. It reminds me a lot of French folk pop but no one's French. "Friends of Friends" was my first favorite track mostly because her vocal delivery is so disdainful. Plus, a genius combination of angular guitar and latin groove. They will be big.  Listen to the track here.


5. HERE WE GO MAGIC - A Different Ship
Piegons was always a favorite of mine so I highly anticipated their new record helmed by none other than Nigel Goodrich. I talked to Luke Temple after the show in Pittsburgh about working with Goodrich but was too full of the drink to remember what he said. Although A Different Ship subverted a lot of my expectations I still listened to it nonstop for about 3 months. It's very charismatic, has a lot of atmosphere, and captures a full concept over the course of the record. Kraut-rock influenced indie pop with a folk soul.


6. CORAL RIFFS - True Romance
I booked Colin's current band, The Cost of Living, for our tour warriors showcase and he passed along an album he'd recorded solo in Wisconsin earlier in the year. He calls it "a labor of love." Recorded for free and distributed only on cassette, it's raw and unrestrained. The bare bones production matched with Colin's narrative and Daniel Johnston vocal delivery makes it incredibly personal and powerful. It's 15 tracks with only one song surpassing the 3 minute mark, so if you're a fan of to the point indie folk, then you'll like this.

7. CAVES - "Humility" single (b/w bear clause)
Jacob Levin is, like any great artist, artistically reclusive and incredibly selective with his work. I feel honored to be his outlet and when he told me that his Caves moniker was coming out of retirement to issue a single I was floored. It's strange when you know someone personally, but still feel the same reverence you reserve for celebrities and icons. I guess that's the duality of releasing music from your friends. But in this case, the quality of these songs transcend our friendship. He claims the tracks are an exercise in bass distortion manipulation, but its really like a garage rock version of the Beach Boys followed by disemboweled variations on Pink Floyd's "Great Gig in the Sky." Now you want to know what that sounds like right?

8. AMENTA ABIOTO -  Amenta Ve
Amenta came into Buffalo from Portland early before her show at the Vault to pick up a floor tom from me and we got to talk for about an hour about her intension to spread her music around the states. Interestingly enough, her entire tour was being completed with short flights from here to there. I went to see her perform and was shocked by the change in her demeanor. The sweet and bubbly girl at my house was now a shamanistic she-beast with golden vocal chords that cycled through tribal chants and hypnotic trances. It was quite a thing to see. Although this record is pursuing a very different sound than the one I witnessed live, it's still worth getting to know.

9. THE ROTARIES - Before Leaving
I use tumblr, which is a pretty obscure platform compared to Facebook or twitter, but it makes for some fine discoveries. I was going from blog to blog and found a live video of the rotaries playing some tiny venue on the West coast and it originally caught my eye because I half thought it was The Vault. I was impressed by the way they embodied the same qualities that made the strokes successful, tight rhythm and harmony with a little rock and roll nostalgia. They're going to come up from Brooklyn to play this years label anniversary show so if you like it, make sure you catch them.

10. ON BETA - You've Got Blood In Your Heart
I've known Andy Vaeth since I was in high school and his band Johnny Nobody played a little showcase series we ran at the YWCA. When he nonchalantly passed the On Beta record my way this year, I knew it had to be something pretty important. This trio has quickly and clearly become one of the finest local acts around. I'm often reminded of Spoon but with piano in place of guitar, and a more focused approach to vocal melody. If you haven't heard them by now, you should be ashamed!


~Brandon Schlia

0 comments

Post a Comment