Exile on Mohawk Street: The City's Been Down

 
It was either May or June, I am not entirely sure, but I remember that it was warm enough to hop on my bike and ride with some friends downtown. We were not really sure what we were going to do that night but we figured there was enough going on that we could figure something out and put together an evening. They were having a dance party at Mohawk so we stopped there but did not want to pay the cover. We rode a little ways and bought 40's. Riding back, we went up to the top of the parking garage and watched the people mill in and out of the dance party, goofing off with some street chalk one of us had come across that day. The sky was clear that night. My friend and I raced down the ramp and I remember that as being some of the most fun I had ever had up until that point. I couldn't tell you why.

...
In 2001 or 2002, having just started college or my senior year of high school, I went to see The Dismemberment Plan in a small bar downtown, Mohawk Place. I had never been to such a small venue or even a bar(this was before they added the bigger stage) but I was excited to see my favorite band. Looking back, I couldn't tell you much about the show (it was 11 years ago) but I can tell you that I stood there in awe, becoming aware of the fact that I may only be able to find transcendence at a concert.
 
...
The next year, after they remodeled the venue, I saw Burning Brides open for My Morning Jacket. This was before My Morning Jacket starting selling out venues. I had no clue who they were though, they just had really long hair and beards, which I thought was kind of odd. In fact, I only wanted to see Burning Brides, so my friends and I left to go to a party about 1/4 into My Morning Jacket's set. Looking back, that might have been a mistake. However, I remember the party being pretty cool so who is to say in the end.
 
...
I went to the first Smiths v. Cure dance party with some friends in 2004. I somehow thought a sweater vest and ill tailored corduroy blazer from Amvets was a good idea...that it would attract girls...obviously this was not the case. I stood in a corner feeling really out of place, like a wayward high school teacher, the whole night. Music was good though. I had a way better time when I went five years later, dressed pretty plainly. I have since bought a better fitting corduroy blazer as well. 

...
It was always nice to see The Fucking Hotlights and be around friends.
 
...
There are some places you just assume will be around as long as you are, or at least until you stop paying attention to them. You assume this because you sometimes forget that time is actually passing and that things are always going to be in a state of flux. So, when those places disappear, you are suddenly confronted with the fact that a considerable amount of time (11 years) has passed since you began going there. As I think about the fact that Mohawk Place is closing, I think about all of the things that have happened during the last 11 years and how many amazing shows I saw there and how those shows shaped me as a person and as a music fan. Then I think about the friends, new and old, who I have shared those experiences with and where they are and how they too have changed. And, at that point, you realize that a lot can happen in one place and that it is a real shame to see it go, but that time passes and things change regardless.


Michael Torsell

0 comments

Post a Comment