Interview: Network


Network is the alternative rap venture of Quinton Brock and Derek Sullivan both of whom have been involved in their own respective musical projects since high-school. Before hooking up with each other, Brock went under rap moniker "Scooter Brock" while Derek played the bass in Sleepy Hahas. They met, formed a comradeship, and the rest is history. As Network they hope to make a unique statement with their music. One that attests to a respect for various musical genres (they cite Sonic Youth, the Pixies, and Deerhunter as inspiration for instance) and a glimpse into their own personal life, giving a fresh voice to describe what it feels like to be an early 20-something year old living in Buffalo.

buffaBLOG: Who are you and what do you do?
Quinton Brock: I'm Quinton and I'm the rapper / songwriter.
Derek Sullivan: I'm Derek and I make the beats.
Quinton Brock: We go as Network, me and Derek have a partnership.

buffaBLOG: How did you guys come up with that name?

QB: Derek came to me with the name, at first I was apprehensive, but what really crossed me was that he showed me the movie "Network"
DS: That's where we got the name.
QB: It's from the 70s, you should definitely check it out.

buffaBLOG: Where did you guys get together in the first place?

QB: I started out as Scooter Brock, I was making rap songs, I was in high-school, and shooting videos. I needed a pair of Beats headphones for my music video. So I was sending out Facebook messages to all my friends, "Does anyone have a pair of Beats I can borrow?" My friend Dan, who was my bass teacher at the time, told me to hit up Derek, and I asked him if he had a pair of "Beats headphones" and then Derek said, "No, but I make beats."
DS: He started making a mix tape, and I sold him a bunch of Beats that I made in High-school, and he was into them and I was surprised he was into them, because no one really gave me any positive responses, he made a mix-tape with them.
QB:  It was hosted by Young Money's DJ, DJ Kid Famous, he actually hosted my first mix tape.

buffaBLOG: (Turns to Derek)
Describe your beat making process.
DS: I have a Korg Triton keyboard from 1992 and an MPC 1000. I sample from either a single channel turntable, or from my iPod through a mixer. I've been using a drum machine since 9th grade in high school, I'm so familiar with it. I like the sound we have from the hardware, that analogue sound. I'll sample everything, I sample Questlove, Cocteau Twins. I'll add movie samples, every song on the Network album has a movie sample.

buffaBLOG: (Turns to Quinton) So what do you do when he shows you a beat?

QB: Derek will never show me a beat unless it's in his car. So I have to sit down in Derek's car, because when you listen inside a car you're engulfed in it. If Derek has a hook idea, he'll tell me. It's my job to almost interpret it, and from there I'll write the rest of the song.

buffaBLOG: What's the difference between Network and the previous stuff you've done?

QB:  I used to write songs about anything, I wanted to be like Mac Miller or stuff like that. But now I'm drawing from life experiences. With this project, more so than anything else before, I wanted to be completely honest, with myself and completely honest with the listener. If the music isn't real and not coming from a real place, then how can I expect anyone to believe what I'm saying? I'll sit down and listen to the entire album, just the beats alone. I've been doing this since March. Derek makes the album musically coherent, and I feel like it's my job to tell a story with it. For me, Network is a shot into my life right now. I feel like after we put the project out, the sky is the limit.
Derek: The production is done, the beats are done, mixed and mastered. All that really needs to get done is the vocals, I want to mess them up as much as possible.

buffaBLOG: Last question, I have to know, what's your favorite pizza topping?

DS: Caramelized onions
QB: Buffalo Chicken

Tomorrow, you can join them to celebrate the album's completion. Network will be hosting  a release party at the Vault, where Derek and Quinton will be performing their album live. All proceeds will be donated to the Senase Project. See ya there.



Jeannette Chin







0 comments

Post a Comment