Concert Review: Sound Tribe Sector 9


"This your first STS9 show?"
"Yes," I replied.
"Oh. Oh! You are in for a treat!"


This conversation happened multiple times in different forms prior to the band taking the stage at Town Ballroom on Wednesday night. To be quite honest, I had only ever heard maybe one or two songs by the band so I really wasn't sure what to expect. A couple friends of mine said this was around the 30th time seeing them; one of them told me his plans of seeing them again on Friday at the Landmark in Syracuse, and again when they hit New York City on 4/20.

Let it be known, that my life changed a little after seeing STS9. First of all, the following and the atmosphere is mind-blowing in and of itself. A sea of 21st century flower children adorned with jewels, braids, and flowing skirts. This a scene familiar to me, but a few years back when I was submerged in the life of love, spirit and peace. The whole event I was hit with memory waves. Summertime in high school, the Sterling Stage Folk Fest I went to. 

Although a lot of it was familiar, it was totally new. The band was phenomenal. Clear and I daresay, perfect. The vibes of the room were high; people ecstatic and wide-eyed, some eyes closed as they swayed and smiled. There was a girl in a Native American headdress, someone in full clown costume (I steered far and clear away, terrifying) and plenty of people with their festival gear. Friends were hugging, even as security pushed their way through as another guard shone a beam like a light house on the crowd of heads, searching for someone. I can honestly say I have never seen a live band with such an amazing and unique sound. The light show was, well, for lack of better phrasing and to be put it quite bluntly, fucking incredible. Trust me when I say I have seen a lot of light shows. I'm frequently basking in the LED lights, circulating and shifting over my field of vision. This light show was like no other, enough to bring a visual flashback or two. 

Russ Liquid opened the night, who was actually pretty impressive and fun to watch. There were only a couple rows worth of people which is disappointing but after realizing the length of STS9's show was, I can see why people weren't gunning to get there really early. Enthusiastic beyond belief, Russ Liquid used a midi and an assortment of instruments to perform his set. It was experimental, odd (in a good way) and fun to dance to. A one man band slightly reminiscent of Flying Lotus, the bass in the room was booming. He even made an appearance to perform with STS9 in one of the first few songs. 

Attention STS9 fanatics: seeking a track ID. What's the song that repeats "All sounds, all lights"? I fell in love with it.

When STS9 come back around to Buffalo or the surrounding area, will you see me there? You can bet on it. Bravo.

Alicia Greco

5 comments

  1. pretty sure that songs called when the dust settles

  2. Yep, when the dust settles for sure! Getting goosebumps just thinking about it now.

  3. Adding to my comment above. You can see the setlist, preview tracks, and download the performance, as I have done, here: http://digital.1320records.com/search/release.php?RELEASE_ID=1105

  4. So amazing! Thank you folks :)

  5. Free Aud Recording http://archive.org/details/STS92013-04-17.MilabVM-44Link.flac16

Post a Comment