Love hip hop? Real hip hop? Like the kind that captures the spirit of the genre's beginnings: live DJ, freestyling MC, free-for-all, unscripted, in-the-moment approach? Well, then, you want to be at Merge tonight, where the underground phenomenon known as the ReBop Session is taking place. Anchored by DJ Cutler on the ones and twos, Tone DiGesare on the sampler, Eric Crittenden on the saxophone, and VJ Brown on guitar, the act is often joined by collaborators and guest musicians, often including MC Zone with his freestyle raps. I've never personally seen a ReBop Session take place, but after doing some quick research, I'm very interested. You don't often hear about live local hip hop in this town - especially not this kind. Sounds like an old-school, block-party, breakbeat type of affair. I want to check it out. And if I get some "liquid courage," maybe they'll even let me freestyle.




0 comments
Post a Comment